Having originally received a generous grant from the Cbit Action for Change programme, SHIPS has had to look for further funding in order to be able to continue helping children and young people in their schools and colleges.
SHIPS became a charity as part of the North-Bristol NHS Charitable Trust in 2005. More recently as the Childrens' Neurological Services moved to Bristol Children's Hospital, our fund has moved to Above & Beyond Charities (Registered Charity number 229945). Their help with administration means all our fundraising goes where it is most needed - to the children and young people. Through Above and Beyond we can receive Gift Aided donations. Donations will be gratefully received in the office. Cheques should be made payable to SHIPS. Please ask for a gift aid form, if appropriate, as this increases the amount available for us to use at no extra cost to you.
The SHIPS Project is part of Above & Beyond, the local charity that raises funds for all Bristol’s city centre hospitals. They invest in projects that make a real difference to patient care. To find out more visit their website at www.aboveandbeyond.org.uk
Over the years we have received funding from a number of charitable sources. Acquire provided a very generous donation from its closure fund, for which we are very grateful. The Yorkshire Building Society Charitable Foundation gave us funding to buy a camcorder and other equipment, while The Roald Dahl Charitable Foundation have funded us to provide interventions for individual children and young people. The Merchant Venturers in Bristol gave us a donation in 2007 and have just awarded us a further £2500 in 2014. Mediatopia (web design company) gave us a large discount on originally setting up this site, which we hope will be of use to parents and teachers alike, and have just updated it for FREE. We hope you like it.
We are incredibly lucky to have received donations and want to thank all our donors for their contributions however large or small. If you would like to donate please visit our Just Giving page or if you would like to find out some more about giving to SHIPS Project please take a quick look at our giving page
Donations received from
- Bristol City College
- Mr & Mrs Hemmings
- Mr & Mrs Gardner
- North-Somerset ISS
- Nickel-Electro Ltd
- The John Bentley School
- Bath University Rag Fund
- Lituus Ensemble
- Bristol Builders
Fundraisers have also been busy on our behalf, working with communities and in villages, schools and towns near you:
- Sam Fletcher raised money through a sponsored walk and his mother became a Sainsbury's local hero by walking with him.
- The Lady Robins held a coffee morning
- Whitfield-Fishponds Community School held a non-uniform day
- Caernarvon House, Castle School, Taunton raised money throughout the year
- Wriggle Valley Junior Players collected for SHIPS during their Christmas Show, The Snow Queen
- Holymead Infants School staff made donations to SHIPS instead of sending cards to each other
- Digby House, Walsingham School adopted SHIPS as their charity for the year and raised a massive amount.
- Bristol Concert Orchestra held a collection at the end of one of their concerts.
- Chris Johnson and Donna Fletcher ran in aid of The SHIPS Project, and collected their donations through Just Giving
- Bristol Builders have given us a donation.
- GWR have supported us with paper for Newsletters and bins at the Funday
- Helen Bales and Deborah & Jon-Paul Crossan celebrated noteable birthdays and asked for donations in lieu of presents
- Jayne Pomery and friends organsised a fantastic Funday - see our facebook page!
How your donation helps
Your donation is really important to us and to the children that we help. Here is what your donation is used for
- £200 sponsors intervention for one pupil for the year
- £150 supports a pupil and their family through statutory assessment
- £200 sponsors a training day for staff and parents
- £30 sponsors an awareness session for a group of professionals or young people
- £325 allows us to run a Lifeboat for one year
- £180 supports our website and email
- £400 allows us to run our help line/support groups for a year
Want to make a contribution?
Please donate what you can to help children and young people who have sustained an Acquired Brain Injury by sending a cheque made out to SHIPS at: SHIPS, 43/45 Stanley Road, Warmley, Bristol BS15 4NX
Ships Project is an important charity aimed at helping our children when they need it most. The only way we can help them is by raising money and educating the public. There are a huge variety of activities and events that you can put together to raise money. We will often hold our own events and we will encourage you to come along. Please check our news section for up to date information about any events coming soon.
Ideas for fundraisers
There are many things you could do to raise funds for SHIPS, they could be:
- sponsored events
- coffee mornings, bring and buy sales
- concerts, plays and dances can all raise funds
- non-uniform or dressing down days at work
- donations in lieu of presents or flowers, at Christmas, birthdays or anniversaries
- auctions of items or promises
- collections, it could be money, but there are other items which could be collected to resell and raise funds.
- competitions to see who can get the most money in a smarties tube - then donate the money to SHIPS
Don't let this list limit you.........but I hope it gets you thinking! Good luck and let us know how you get on.
To find out how we are getting on with our fundraising for this year, please visit our Just Giving page by clicking
We keep this up to date with our target and progress.
Thank you for your interest. We hope you will be able to support us.
Do you have a question?
Then don't hesitate - get in touch today by clicking the button or call us on 01179 673 279